An herbal tisane produced from the leaf of Aspalathus linoaris, not Camellia sinensis. The liquor from this herb looks and tastes much like true tea and can be drunk hot or cold and with or without milk. Grown only in South Africa, Rooibos means "red bush" in Afrikaans and is so called because of the color of its processed leaf. Caffeine-free and rich in vitamin C, mineral salts, and proteins, Rooibos has even more antioxidants than green tea. The plant was first identified in 1772 by the Swedish botanist Carl Thunberg. Rooibos is harvested manually during the Southern Hemisphere summer. It is then bruised and cut using tobacco cutting machines. At this stage, rooibos leaf is still green. The flavor of the green rooibos is very mild and can be easily combined with other herbs and teas. It is a wonderful end-of-day drink which will not keep you up at night!
Origin: Cederberg, South Africa
Ingredients: Organic green rooibos
DID YOU KNOW? ROOIBOS (pronounced "roy/boss")...
• Rooibos is all natural and contains no additives, preservatives or colorants.
• Rooibos is naturally free of caffeine and makes a terrific beverage for anyone avoiding caffeine late in the day or all together.
• The soothing effect that Rooibos seems to have on the central nervous system may make it an effective sleep aid.
• While Rooibos is high in antioxidants it is not as high as green and black teas.
• The antioxidants in Rooibos are also different than those found in green and black teas.
• Additionally Rooibos is high in polyphenol content, another type of antioxidant.
• Rooibos has it’s own properties, one is a specific flavonoid that is found only in Rooibos called aspalathin.
• Of the 10 identified antioxidants present in Rooibos aspalathin is one of three that are found in the greatest quantities.
• Green Rooibos or the non-oxidized version has more antioxidant benefit than the more popular oxidized version.
• Rooibos contains numerous nutrients.
• Rooibos has been successfully used to treat the symptoms of colic in infants.
• Rooibos can relieve stomach and digestive disorders such as nausea, vomiting, heartburn, cramps and constipation in adults.